Many in the world think they'd be just fine if they never heard that story, or never heard the name of Jesus. They get along just fine with Him, so they think. Yet they don't know that it is because of His mercy every single moment of every single day that they breathe the air in this world and enjoy all the pleasures they have, and are able to think and love and feel and make choices. And the wrong choice, to ignore or reject Him will one day eternally separate them from Him, and His creation, and all those things they enjoy.
The meaning of Christmas gets talked about a lot. To some it is just making others happy. For some it is love...whatever their definition of that is. For some it is giving. For some it is doing something meaningful for someone else. If we truly know the meaning, all those things may happen, but first we have to know Him. He is the meaning. It is the Gospel, the good news, the message that He came to earth and took on human form...the God-man. He took onto Himself our sins on the cross though He was sinless, and died in our place, and then after 3 days He rose again. His message is that all who believe in Him, who trust and rely on His salvation will have the free gift of eternal life. And one day, just as He came as He said the first time, to save, He will come again, as He said. Our corrupted bodies will be changed and put on incorruption, in a moment, in a twinkling of an eye, and we who believe in Him will be taken up to meet Him in the air, and then to be with Him forever.
1 Corinthians 15:52-57
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
(53) For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
(54) When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
(55) "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"
(56) The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
(57) But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(1) "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.
(2) In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
(3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
I love this time of year because that story comes alive to me again and again through the worship, the Christmas carols, the Scriptures, and meditating on that perfect gift. His joy fills my heart and His hope, even in the midst of hopeless sorrow or circumstances. I've learned that the real gift and message of Christmas can stay with me all year long, and the feelings it brings, as well as the joy of giving of myself to others as the Lord leads. It's not for just one time of year.
I just wanted to share this beautiful video with you. Listen to the end because there is a special treat in the ending of the song that will give you goose bumps. I hope you all have a very blessed, Merry, joyful, Christmas thinking on Christ and giving His love, His gift, to whoever He brings your way, whether that be family, friend, or someone you don't even know. It is a gift for us to share. I have one disagreement with the statement he makes in the end...to him the meaning of life is to be happy. Of course he says that is by following the teachings of Jesus. I'd like to clarify that a little more. The meaning of life IS Jesus. He is the truth the life and the way. Life itself is in Him alone.
1 John 5:11-12
(11) And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
(12) Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
If you want to know more about this gift of eternal life, please read more here.