(1) Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
(2) For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
(3) He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
(4) Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
(5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
(6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
A tender plant is weak and vulnerable - unless it is before Him, that is, before the LORD God. In God’s presence, that what seems to be weak is strong. If the plant is before Him, it doesn’t even matter that the ground is dry. God will sustain it with His presence.
Men will reject whatever does not appeal to their own self-centered lusts, affections, and ambitions. They only "esteem" what they can find personal gain from in this world. They looked for a messiah that would deliver them, be strong in battle and overcome all their enemies in this world and bring them riches, honor, and peace. They despised a suffering, weak Messiah, Who came to take on their sin and bring righteousness to their hearts. They had no concept of His kingdom, but sought a messiah who would build their own kingdom.
Today, even in the "church," many who call themselves "Christians" will despise the true Christ of the Bible Who turns them from sin to His righteousness, because they want the riches of this world rather than His. They have no "esteem" for the Christ of the Gospel. There is no appeal to Him in their eyes. So they try to make churches that do appeal to the world, that will cause the world to esteem their christ, as making him just like one of them. But this is not the Christ of the Bible - the One true living Christ - it is their own made up christ that they esteem.
(Psalms 50:21) These things you have done, and I have been silent; you thought that I was one like yourself. But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.
He could have put an end to them all, as they were blaspheming Him, scourging Him, mocking Him, and crucifying Him. One word from Him could have ended their lives and stopped His suffering. But He took it all upon Himself for our sake. Has there ever been a greater love?
(Isaiah 53:7) He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth.
Even today, men mock Him, saying, "If He is real, why doesn't He come now and strike me dead? Why does He allow evil? Why is He silent? Why doesn't He make everything right?"
The time was not yet right then, in Jesus day, as He had to first accomplish salvation for all men, "whosoever will" and the time is not yet right today as He is still drawing men and women to that salvation until that day when He does come and bring judgment of all evil and all evil and those who embrace it and reject Him will be destroyed, and only righteousness and peace and eternal life in His glory will remain.
2 Peter 3:7-10
(7) But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
(8) But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
(9) The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
(10) But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.
(2 Peter 3:13) But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
Just as sure as this prophecy in Isaiah, spoken over 700 years before Jesus came, was fulfilled to the letter, literally, all the rest of what the Scriptures prophecy of His coming again will be fulfilled to the letter, literally. Whether or not we hold the Scriptures - His sure Word - in high esteem, valuing it, believing it, and abiding in it, all of it will come to pass. We are given the opportunity now, and the choice. What will we choose? What will we esteem and what will we reject and despise? Better to despise our own selves and turn to the One Who holds more value over our lives than even we ourselves do! The One Who gave up His own life and suffered and shed His blood so that we could find real life - His life as our own!
(3) And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.
(4) He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
(5) And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
(6) And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.
(7) The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.
What a glorious salvation our Lord Jesus Christ has accomplished for us! What love! What hope! What a great and horrible sin it is to reject such a Savior and despise Him for this world.
Thank You dear Lord Jesus, for all You suffered for us, that You left Your glory in Heaven and came here to take on the weakness of human flesh, in order to redeem us all from its corruption, and make us fit for Your glory one day, when You come again to bring an end to all that corrupts! Even so, come soon Lord Jesus! We eagerly wait for You! While we wait, we seek to reveal Your glory in this dark world and bring Your truth to light. Enable us to do so in Your name, by Your power.